Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Story of Adrianna

     I was born in 1867 with pale china skin and hand painted blue eyes like most of my friends. My molded hair has such a beautiful shine to it.  My name is Adrianna.  My mistress, Miss Mary Louise, sewed me a fine cloth body by carefully following a magazine pattern.  Although many of my friends had molded jewelry, Miss Mary Louise enjoyed changing my jewelery to match my different outfits.


      My green velvet promenade dress matches the one worn by my mistress.  She makes calls, but we are "at home" every Wednesday at 4:00 p.m.  That's when others can come call on us and we'll be sure to be here.

 
      Here's an example of the type of dresses I wear when Miss Mary Louise and I read, write, paint with watercolors and sew.  Sometimes we play dominos or paste pretty scraps in books.

    
     We go to a ball or the opera some of the evenings.  All the ladies dress in silk and lace which makes such a lovely rustling sound when they walk by us.  I have pierced ears so I can wear many different earrings just like they do.  Underneath my dress, I wear whalebone stays and a crinoline so my dress will stay puffed out and my waist will look as small as possible.  It's hard to bend over in all these clothes!

      The main thing a woman is to do these days is to be a proper wife.  There are rules for everything, and the men don't think the ladies are as smart at them.  The men are positive that women aren't  nearly smart enough to vote, but I'll be around a long time and I plan to watch it happen...with my china blue eyes.
    
Creative Idea #4

Here I am in the body Miss Mary Louise made for me.  I'm so
embarrassed!

My book was made from a report cover with white paper
 pages stapled inside.
All my clothes and accessories are cut seperately - many of
them from magazine pictures.







Smarty and I'll be back soon.   Carol



No comments:

Post a Comment