Thursday, August 25, 2011

Ice Cream . . . Colors

     Soft ice cream colors have always been my favorites.  Even when I'm trying to use the more intense colors, my art work often turns out in the mid-to-light range of colors.  A few years ago, I bought a book designed especially for quilters called Color and Cloth by Mary Coyne Penders.  The idea is that you use snippets of fabric from your fabric stash to make different quilt patterns according to Ms. Penders' instructions.  I was thinking that the color ideas would apply to all kinds of art - not just quilts - and they do in many respects.  For instance, the first lesson asks you to make a color wheel using small bits of plain colored cloth and then make one using printed cloth. 

Solid Fabric Color Wheel


     They're fun to make by drawing two circles, with one inside the other, on a piece of cardstock.  Divide the circle into a dozen equal parts.  On tracing paper, copy one of the small sections to use to make a pattern for your fabric pieces.  Cut the pieces of material and glue them onto the circle.

  




      Of course these don't really have anything to do with women...or do they.  We all wear clothes and furnish our houses in the colors we like the best.  You can buy a new car in the color of your choice - as long as it's white, gray, or whatever the color the car manufacturers have decided we want this year. 
 
     Once I decided to make my own color book.  It's turned out to be another of my "works in progress."  Earlier I had purchased a blank page album, so I decided it would work fine for "My Color Book".  As I worked, I discovered that it is much easier to make each collage page on a piece of cardstock and then attach it to the book page with double stick tape.  Each page of the book concentrates on one of the six main colors plus black or white.  When those are done, further pages will have two or three colors together.  Most of the finished pages aren't focused on women, but the new pages will be.


At the beginning.



RED - passionate, exciting, anger, love 
Creative Idea Number Six
PURPLE - Dignified, regal, power, spiritual
Creative Idea Number Seven
     The background for this collage was made by tearing tissue paper into pieces, coating a piece of cardstock with Mod Podge, sticking the tissue paper to it, and applying a final coat of Mod Podge.  While it dried, I found pictures and words for the collage.  After trimming them, I coated them with Mod Podge in the same way.  One mistake I made was to place a piece of wax paper over the whole thing and roll a brayer over the wax paper to flatten out the tissue.  Only, it wasn't quite all dry and the wax paper suck in a few places pulling the color off of the cutouts.   That just proves that even with the power color purple, mistakes happen.  
     Smarty and I'll be back soon.
                         Carol












No comments:

Post a Comment